Advise on motherboard purchase

Jordon Bedwell jordon at envygeeks.com
Tue Oct 5 06:25:38 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 13:43 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:

> Basil is clearly talking operating temperature and not non-operating
> temperature.

To be honest, most of the time I don't know what he's on about.

> I have seen hard disks with a max temp of 55c.

I have before too, I wish they defaulted to 55c this way people would
stop being so dumb when they build their home computers.  I don't know
how many times people will contact me thinking I do home PC work and
saying 'OMG SOMETHING IS HOT', the only thing I can think is: Learn to
better airflow and read the suggestions, not the max >.>

> Yeah, whatever, that's why I keep my home box on 24/7.

I was just elaborating what you said, so I hope you didn't take it as me
treating you like a noob. I have no room to treat people like noobs, I
just like to elaborate and explain, it's a hobby, besides my #1 hobby of
trying to see how fast I can get 'apt-get update' to go :D

> Nor would I for my mail servers when I was an mta admin and neither
> would the team that was responsible for the file servers but they were
> running FreeBSD 4.x then and there was no smartd on FreeBSD 4.x so they
> assumed that everything was fine nevermind it was a new batch of
> fileservers in a new case model. Only after I got to stick my nose in
> and claim Linux is way faster than FreeBSD at serving files (had proof -
> replacing FreeBSD on my mail servers with Linux got an almost two-fold
> increase in performance at the cost of very slight instability) did I
> prove the disks were running hot. Temps ranged from 40 to 67. Feel free
> to guess which disks died and which did not.

Man, I miss the days when everything was guessing and it all fell back
on 'If it isn't breaking then it's obviously okay' if only we could go
back to those days right?

> I'm not in the business of recovering data so I only care that the
> entire thing is still operational. That means not running anywhere near 50C.

Nor am I, but I do destroy, well did, a lot of data drives.  I still
advise some companies on how to properly destroy data, and my favorite
was always reaching the curie point.