difference between "do-release-upgrade" and "apt-get dist-upgrade"

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 5 03:33:08 UTC 2010

On 10/04/2010 08:18 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 19:00:56 -0700
> NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Note if you have an older nVidia 96/legacy card (as I do):
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/626974
>> [ABI change in xorg 1.9 breaks legacy nvidia-96 and nvidia-173 drivers
>> in Maverick]
>> 173 got fixed, but still waiting on 96...
>
> I had a GeForce 7600 GS which was the card Ubuntu's proprietary
> software fetcher set up for me.  I seem to recall that it was the 173
> but am not sure.  When I recently got a GeForce 8400 GS my driver
> didn't change.  I never thought to change it as it was working fine.
>
> Then the RC upgrade played some tricks.    ;-]
>
> I do notice that the new Maverick, "Additional Drivers," reports only,
> "NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version current)," now.  Could that
> possibly be the new and improved 96?
>
> Do you use the  OS-included fetcher of proprietary software or install
> the drivers manually?
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

You should:

1. Start a new thread & preface with [Maverick] :-)
2. Use the 256 driver for the GF 8400 GS:
Ref:
[http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-256.53-driver.html]
(click on supported products)
The 256 driver in Maverick has supposedly been fixed for awhile:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/616023>
[nVidia card : X won't start since 1.9 update, no screens found]

Given that your upgrade from lucid failed, you might want to subscribe
to that bug report and add your comments/experience.

3. Change your mail client to not include the email address of the
person that you are replying to in your attribution. Doing so just makes
it easer for spambots & irritates folks like me :-)