Advise on motherboard purchase

Carlos Alberto Alves drcaa at predialnet.com.br
Fri Oct 1 19:35:16 UTC 2010

On 10/01/2010 12:51 PM, Franz Waldmüller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am about to assemble a new PC as my really old ones are dying. I don't
> like to buy a new machine every two years that is why I am looking for
> some "future proof" components.
>
> The PC should work with ubuntu without any additional configuration.
> One of the components which I could not decide yet is the mainboard.
> At the moment this mainboard is my favorite choice:
> Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
> http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=eCWbkolMf0DOW0IV&templete=2
>
> I am going to explain my thoughts and needs:
> -) I want to use *ECC memory* which reduced my choice to AMD-CPUs and
> ASUS motherboards (Intel only supports ECC in it's Xenon-CPUs)
>
> -) I want an *IGP* as I don't have a need for a dedicated video card.
> GIMP, Inkscape and some video-editing are the most demanding
> applications I am currently using. The don't use GPU-acceleration, yet.
> The IGP of this motherboard is an Radeaon HD 4290 GPU. This should be
> fine for using Compiz and watching movies. At them moment I have the
> impression that AMD/ATI is contributing more to the development of open
> source drivers, which I intend to use. And that the Radeon HD 4290 is
> the best IGP available. I don't use the PC to play games.
>
> -) USB3.0 and SataIII are nice features of this motherboard, too.
>
> Of special interest would be any feedback related to ACPI. I intend to
> use ubuntu 10.04LTS as I need a stable system. If some components need
> ubuntu 10.10 I could use this version as well.
>
> Thanks for your help!
> Franz

IMHO, it is an excellent choice and Hybrid CrossFireX support may be
very useful in a near future.
I have just assembled a new PC with a model M4A785TD-M EVO. It worked
out-of-the-box, not a single BIOS adjustment. This MB has an on-board
video Radeon 4200; also excellent until now. HD movies have been great.
Good luck,
--
* Carlos Alberto Alves          *