nvidia gt240 boot problem

Mark mhullrich at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 21:46:41 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Dave Stevens <geek at uniserve.com> wrote:
> trying to boot with a new Nvidia GT240 video card using nouveau,
> kernel 2.6.35-22-generic(recovery mode)
>
> error is:
>
> [   10.320231] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: Couldn't find matching
> output script table
>
> I'd like to be able to boot into some gui that would allow me to
> download the nvidia driver and try that instead. That seems to have
> worked for others.

You may need to use a different machine to get it - you'll need a
browser to visit nvidia and it doesn't sound like that's going to work
too well without a graphics mode login (unless you know how to use
text-based internet access).

If you get the driver from nvidia, you'll need to install it from a
non-GUI mode anyway.  (They call it "run level 3" but I've been
chastened that there isn't really any such thing here in
Debian/Ubuntu, you just need to kill all the gdms before you can
install it.)