grub bis (grub-pc and grub 2)

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Fri Nov 19 13:34:45 UTC 2010

On Friday 19,November,2010 06:40 PM, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> package "grub" is grub-legacy 0.97
>>  package "grub-pc" is grub2 1.98
>
> Got it, but it does not explain (to me) why it worked on one computer and not
> on the other. I suppose it means that "autoremove" make removing grub2 remove
> grub-pc, but only remove tells you grub2 is not installed.

Okay,good. Remember just the above 2 packages, but who knows in future
grub-pc may be renamed grub2.   :)

> "sudo grub-mkdevicemap"
>
> Ha! That's what I was looking for - never heard of this command before, I did
> not even know that grub used a device map. I changed menu.lst by hand and
> replaced th UUIDs with /dev/sdx because it's easier to read.

Thierry, I am of the opinion that there is only 2 commands most users
need to know

sudo update-grub
sudo grub-install /dev/sdX     (most usually /dev/sda)

sudo grub-install /dev/sdX will do all the other commands including
grub-mkdevicemap and some others.

The reason I mentioned "sudo grub-mkdevicemap" is that I do not want to
guess, however likely, your /dev/sdX. So whenever you have any problem
with grub, "sudo grub-install /dev/sdX" will 'grandmasterstroke' any
issue you may have (note this also applies to grub-l), provided of
course, it is not other issues affecting grub, like wrong fstab or mount
points, for example.

> Thanks for the clearer picture. I'd suggest to find some place to put your
> explanation (at the start of the elp.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 page, for
> example). If I had found it there, I would not have had to ask here in the
> first place.

You're welcome and I am glad to be able to help; I also understand your
frustration, I too had gone through many such blinking cursors (LILO) in
the past.

> Besides, I did_not_  say that grub-l is better than grub2, I said it should be
> better documented so that average users that do poke with their system
> understand what is to be done. I've searched the page for "grub-mkdevicemap",
> and there is nothing...
>
>> >  I should hope not, otherwise I'll insist they include LILO as well.
> Why not?

Let's leave this disagreement here, (though I'd be sure you will finally
agree with me someday :)  )

Regards, take care - Goh Lip