Grub 2 and moved sytem (rant and question)

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Thu Nov 18 19:08:28 UTC 2010

On Thursday 18 November 2010 07:41:47 pm Mark wrote:
> The puzzling part here though is that you moved your partitions on the
> same disk, which means that the UUID shouldn't have changed.

Well, as I copied a system that was on /dev/sda6 to /dev/sda1, I can imagine
that the copy still pointed to the uuid of /dev/sda6.

So I understand that grub 2 was upset - gurb legacy would have been too. The
problem is that I have two ways of correcting this on grub-legacy: I can set
readable partitions with /dev/sdax, and I can edit menu.lst.

I assume there would be a wy to do the same with grub 2 but I can't find the
docs for it. Okay, it's 1.98 so it's still beta, so why do ditributions use
it (and don't give any choice on install.

Anyway, for those who want, it's easy enough to get grub-legacy back.
Funny to have to perfer a no-more-maintained stuff that works to a
well-maintained-but-not finished one...

Thierry