Ubuntu Netbook Edition

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 04:12:37 GMT 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 1:35 AM, Jeffrey Needle <jeff.needle at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using the latest incarnation of Ubuntu (10.10).  I quite like the
> Netbook edition -- its interface is so friendly and comfortable for me.
>
> When I start Ubuntu, I get the sign-in screen, and after pressing <enter>
> to get to my password, I'm given a choice of interfaces at the bottom of
> the screen.  One of the choices is the Netbook edition.  I choose it,
> start Linux.  What I get are a series of icons on the left side of the
> screen, and then, after a few moments, the familiar drop-down menus at
> the top of the screen.  When I move the cursor to any of the icons, the
> screen goes blank and refreshes.  Nothing brings up any of my choices.
>
> Oddly, when I choose Netbook 2D, it works fairly well.  I get the
> familiar interface, albeit somewhat larger fonts.
>
> Is there something I can do to get the regular Netbook interface to work
> correctly, other than reinstalling the whole system?

You may have a hardware incompatibility -- you didn't say what netbook
(or desktop) you are trying to use. Please post the exact model name,
and if it's a custom setup please mention the exact brand and model of
video card you are using.

Here is a page with lots of information about hardware compatibility
with the Netbook edition, though unfortunately a lot of the
information is outdated:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks

There are other pages with different levels of information, but you
should start with an Internet search (Google or Bing or whatever you
prefer) looking for reports about your specific hardware.