[Ubuntu-users] How do I install g++ 4.5 on ubuntu 10.10?

K. Frank kfrank29.c at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 02:25:51 UTC 2010

Hi Mark -

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Mark <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 3:40 PM, K. Frank <kfrank29.c at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello All -
>>
>> I am playing around with a newly installed ubuntu 10.10, and would
>> like to install g++ 4.5.  Could anyone tell me how to do this?
>>
> This is somewhat risky because you probably need the whole g++ 4.5
> build and support environment, not just one piece of it, which
> includes gcc and a slew of other compiler tools and run-time
> libraries.

First, yes, I would be happy to install the whole gcc 4.5 ball
of wax.  (For example, that's why I uninstalled gcc 4.4.)  But
I don't know how to do it.

Also, I am willing to take some risk.  This is a new (read
throw-away) install of ubuntu, so if something gets totally
messed up, I can start over from scratch.

> I would at least put them in a separate directory to ensure that you
> can still use the 4.4 r.t.e. that works, and make sure you get the
> whole bundle of 4.5 packages for that separate r.t.e.

You speak of the r.t.e.  Would that be the runtime environment?
I wouldn't mind blowing out the whole gcc runtime environment,
unless that would break essential ubuntu functionality.

But I would also be happy to install 4.5 along side 4.4, but I
don't know how.  Back in the steam-powered days, I would
have found a tar file of a binary gcc build, and un-tarred it in
a directory of my choice.  But the files I've located that appear
to contain gcc binaries are these ".deb" files, and I don't know
what to do with them, other than run them through the "Ubuntu
Software Manager."  And I don't know how to coerce "Ubuntu
Software Manger" to install them (let alone install them along
side 4.4) because it complains about the various dependency
conflicts.

As you can see, I don't really know where to start with the
whole ubuntu package-management process.

Thanks for help and for any further advice.

K. Frank