Disk defragmenting (was "Re: No Sound :(")

Douglas Pollard dougpol1 at verizon.net
Tue Nov 16 14:56:38 UTC 2010

On 11/15/2010 11:14 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 16/11/2010 10:18, Douglas Pollard wrote:
>
> [pruned]
>

>> That is very intersting and I had certainly not thought about it in that
>> light.  I am using FAT with the idea that both ubuntu and XP could work
>> in it. Maybe there is another file type that both can work with?
>>
> This has already been answered - use NTFS and when you are installing
> Ubuntu it detects your XP installation and the NTFS file format and
> automatically installs the NTFS-3g for it.
>

>>     The
>> speed  does not matter to me a whole lot but there is an advantge For
>> Premier if the drive is faster.   Of course even in need of
>> defragmenting the drive is likely much faster than the usb cable It's
>> running off of, I would guess.
>>
> If you want a decent, no nonsense, no BS, defragmenter for use with
> Windows then its O&  O Defrag Professional - you'll find it here
> http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/products/oodefrag/ .
>
> As you can see its not a freebie - but worth every cent. It has 8
> 'defragging' methods.
>
> If you do get it, then make sure that you activate the option to check
> the Windows partition for errors (ie, do chkdsk) and to not defrag the
> partition if there is an error. Do NOT use the chkdsk option in XP
> 'Computer' part in START; if you want to use XP itself then use either
> the Command Line and type in the usual 'chkdsk /f X:' or use the Admin
> section in the (?)Control Panel (haven't used XP for so long that I have
> forgotten the names of the bits I am talking about :-) ). However, O&O
> Defrag won't let a bad partition to be 'defragged'.
>
> BC

Some things I do to protect the video when using xp is that I try to
import all video clips from Ubuntu befor I start to work on that video.
I do not connect xp to the internet and I do not import anything once I
start to work in video except an ocansional video file that I may find I
need.  I don't defrag I don't run any programs except Premier and
Photoshop. I have a virus program in xp and I have one in Ubuntu. Video
files that I might download off the internet are checked twice.  I worry
about corruption in Xp that I might pass onto the fellow doing the final
editing.  When I send him a file my antivirus checks the file I will be
sending and he checks it coming into him. Premier is so easily corrupted
and you can easily ruin several weeks work.  He does interactive dvd's
for college recruting where there are 2 and sometimes 3 dvd's usually in
hight definition full.   The last one he did was almost 3 years work
when finally completed. Where he is concerned there is a lot at stake.
     I make a little part time money working up clips for him.
What I do in Cinelerra is video that I have taken over the years mostly
sailing the Bahamas ,Florida, the East coast and the keys. I have about
17 hours of clips that I am boiling down to about an hour of video.
When that is finished I will put all the clips on line at the creative
commons film site for anyone that needs clips to download them free.  I
am 76 years old so I need to get this done as I can already see that I
am not as sharp as I once was.  Working on my computer is getting harder
so I need to finish.
         Doug