Separate /home partition

Mark mhullrich at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 02:22:54 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 5:24 PM, P Echo <p.echo926 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmmm, yes.  Easy to do but a little more complicated than that one
> sentence suggests.
Only if you make it more complicated.

> Here is a good guide.
>
> http://embraceubuntu.com/2006/01/29/move-home-to-its-own-partition/
>
> It's a few years old, but I think still valid.

It's fine, but it is more complicated.

All you have to do is create & format the partition ("Format the new disk"),

Mount the partition other than as /home and copy all the files from
/home to the new partition ("copy the files from /home"),

Unmount the new partition and change your /etc/fstab, to reflect the
new /home so it will mount at boot time ("and change it to /etc/fstab
with the new path") and reboot (or you can get away with shutting down
to level 1 and coming back up, but why bother).

Other than filling in the implied missing steps, that "one sentence"
says it all.

If this is done at run level 1, a reboot is not required.  After
changing the fstab, you can 'mount -a' and bring it up to run level 5.