Active Directory Domain on Ubuntu

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Sat Nov 13 12:17:22 UTC 2010

On Saturday, November 13, 2010 07:38 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 13/11/2010 20:43, Christopher Chan wrote:
>
> [pruned]
>
>> Since when do you get educated arguments from trolls like me?
>
> <FX: Nods heads slowly several times>  True, very true......
>
>>> It's like someone spouting forth about the merits of DOS when it is no
>>> longer in the picture...... :-) .
>>>
>> But you see, I work in these blooming factories that use DOS on their
>> control stations and they are not willing to make the big change
>> to...er...hmm...something that is better but requires them to engineer
>> their solution.
>>

> At which point I am not sure if you are trying to convince the members
> of this list to take a certain approach or you are trying to convince
> those you work for to "see the light"...it's all kinda confusing overall.

Well, it goes both ways..."see the light" is usually not a
problem...they will see that Linux desktops would be easier to manage
(system wise - desktop wise depends on admin :-p), much more secure,
more cost effective but they usually come back with "but I need to use
this or that" and also point out the time involved in retraining. The
latter is usually no biggee if there were either viable alternatives to
'this or that' or you could get 'this or that' to work on Linux. I'd be
happy to roll out GNOME desktops now that Sabayon provides the bare
minimum requirement of being able to customize desktops based on group
membership. What's left is replacements for software like Photo Story 3,
Windows Movie Maker 2.1, software used by the special needs team. Time
to get Wine a whirl with some of this stuff.