Active Directory Domain on Ubuntu

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Sat Nov 13 09:43:32 UTC 2010

On Saturday, November 13, 2010 05:18 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 13/11/2010 18:23, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> On Saturday, November 13, 2010 10:07 AM, Mark wrote:

>>> If I missed the point, someone else (you?) missed the whole topic.
>>> LTS is not (just) a commitment to long maintenance.  RHEL is used in
>>> corporate environments all over the world - that's what "Enterprise
>>> Linux" entails, as opposed to other RH packages. That's one of the
>>> distinctions between SuSE and SLES (formerly SLED?).  They're not
>>> Enterprise distributions solely because of long-term support
>>> commitments - all RH and SuSE releases have those (as opposed to
>>> Fedora, or Gentoo which I also know for a fact is used in some
>>> enterprise situations).
>>>
>> RHEL will get NEW features for example. It is not just 'long term
>> security maintenance' which is what Ubuntu LTS means. Hardy has this
>> outstanding bug, for example. with regards to Yahoo Messenger accounts
>> for which there are bug fixes but nobody is willing to get that
>> addressed. The only thing done for Hardy is security related. And forget
>> getting an OpenOffice version that can handle OOXML on Hardy. It is
>> probably not even on their radar.
>>

> I don't understand. Why are you living in the past?
>
> The current release of Ubuntu is Maverick, 10.10, and yet you keep still
> nattering along about some outdated version?

That's because nobody has yet made an equivalent of the functionality
you get with kiosktool for KDE 3.5.x and the last LTS release that is
still 'current' that comes with KDE 3.5.x is Hardy.

> Get with it , man, and then you would be in a position to present an
> educated argument :-) .

Since when do you get educated arguments from trolls like me?

> It's like someone spouting forth about the merits of DOS when it is no
> longer in the picture...... :-) .

But you see, I work in these blooming factories that use DOS on their
control stations and they are not willing to make the big change
to...er...hmm...something that is better but requires them to engineer
their solution.

> BC
>
> PS Pax, bro.

Sure thing Basil.