No Sound :(

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 02:41:45 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 19:48 -0500, Douglas Pollard wrote:
> On 11/12/2010 06:55 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 14:02 -0500, Nathan Bahn wrote:
> >> I set up 10.10 as a dual boot; but I cannot get any sound.  Where can
> >> I find troubleshooting instructions?
> > run pavucontrol to set up your sound and sound mixer. Ric
> I don't see how pavucontrol can be of any help. All it shows me is that
> I have no hardware or software devices but do have a dummy output in the
> volume control that is being monitored. The speakers appear to be muted,
> looks like a dead end to me. I was using 32 bit but removed 10.10 and
> reinstalled Ubuntu Studio as 64 bit 10.10.  Hoping that might make a
> difference. I needed to change it over as I could not find a 32bit
> driver for my new canon printer. Had my fingers crossed that by some
> magic I might have sound after working at it all day. I think tomorrow I
> will reinstall 10.04 as it had been working for me with sound  After the
> first of the year if the sound problem appears to be fixed I will come
> back to 10.10.  I hate to go backwards, but I'll come back to fight
> another day:-)                                     Doug

I agree, I'd revert back to 10.4 and let 10.10 soak while. The fact that
pulse shows that there are no audio devices is enough evidence for me
that your sound situation is completely borked. It's a dead parrot if
there is nothing listed as active under the 'configuration' tab in
pavucontrol. Check the 'output' tab and make sure that your sound setup
is correct, if it's analog or LFE out. To start with, set your speakers
to plain jane stereo output.

You could always crank up a terminal and run alsamixer to see if it sees
anything. Plus, try connecting some USB Headphones. They should pop up
and be usable in pavucontrol. We installed 10.10 to an office clunker
with some tinny built-in audio, worked just fine. Me, I'm hanging back
with 10.4 for awhile. Ric

Linux user# 44256