10.04 AND64 server install does not see all of my disks

Mark mhullrich at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 21:16:35 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 12:58 PM, stan <stanb at panix.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 10:32:19AM -0800, Mark wrote:
>
> The partioner is where the formating is done. It should be able to, and
> can, see unformated disks.
>>
>> Which "partioner" are you using?
>
> Not certain. It's the one invoked by the default Ubuntu installer.
>>
>> What alternatives to your "partioner" have you tried or are you not
>> aware of any?
>
> I suppose I could fire up gpartd, and see what it says.
>>
>> Details, details, details - yes, they will help get your answers.
>>
> The disk that the Ubuntu installer did not recognize was an eairlier
> firmware level that the others (which weere 2 different levels, both later
> than this one). I swaped teh disk for one with later firmware on it, and
> was able to proceed with the install. Almost certainly this is a bug i the
> installer.

Please 1) spell check your postings - it makes them easier to read
especially for people whose first language is not English and 2) just
reply to the list, don't copy us (me) individually too - we'll all get
the post.  (I know some lists don't auto-reply-to-all, this one does.)

I would suggest looking at that disk you swapped out before asserting
that this is a bug in the installer.  You might be right, but this
tiny bit of evidence is not enough to suggest or prove it.

Frankly, I don't know which disk utility is used by the installer to
partition and format the disks, but another way to narrow down the
culprit of the fault would have been to use fdisk or gpartd or parted
or, really, any other disk manager utility to rule out the possibility
of a hardware problem.  If the uncooperative disk had outdated
firmware as you say, it is possible it had other problems, too, which
would suggest that the disk itself was at fault, not necessarily the
installer.

That said, you could be right.  However, unless you really have an
itch to pursue this, given that you're now installed with all disks
working, congratulations and welcome to the gang.

Cheers!

Mark