10.04 AND64 server install does not see all of my disks

stan stanb at panix.com
Fri Nov 12 20:58:18 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 10:32:19AM -0800, Mark wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 6:08 AM, stan <stanb at panix.com> wrote:
> > I am trying to install 10.04 AMD64 from the server install disk on a Sun
> > V40. I have all 5 slots in the machine filled with Seagate ST330007LC
> > drives. The BIOS sees all 5 of these. The partioner only sees 4 of them.
> > Any thoughts as to what the issue might be here?
> >
> Far too many to enumerate here.
>
> My first question would be are you sure that AMD64 is the right
> install disk for a Sun V40?

Yes, it is an AMD 64 bit chip (2 actually).

> Are you sure that all five disks are properly formatted and working?
> The BIOS sees hardware, not necessarily what's on it.  IOW, the BIOS
> sees five disk drives, but does it tell you how the disks are
> formatted or what the format(s) is(are)?  I don't think so.

The partioner is where the formating is done. It should be able to, and
can, see unformated disks.

> Which "partioner" are you using?

Not certain. It's the one invoked by the default Ubuntu installer.

> What alternatives to your "partioner" have you tried or are you not
> aware of any?

I suppose I could fire up gpartd, and see what it says.

> Details, details, details - yes, they will help get your answers.

The disk that the Ubuntu installer did not recognize was an eairlier
firmware level that the others (which weere 2 different levels, both later
than this one). I swaped teh disk for one with later firmware on it, and
was able to proceed with the install. Almost certainly this is a bug i the
installer.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?