Ubuntu 10.10 bug w AC97 sound card

Jordon Bedwell jordon at envygeeks.com
Thu Nov 11 09:54:53 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 04:23 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> It's usually a good thing to read the list a bit to get the flavor of
> any given list. Lately we've had to post a reminder ~daily~ to ask top
> posters to leave the Windows convention of top posting at the door. It's
> fine for personal correspondence, if that is what you do, but for tech
> support issues that may become googled in the future, a top post just
> ruins the information for the next guy. So, the question gets asked
> again and again and again. Now you know. Ric

Sir, it is not a "Windows thing" to top-post, it is a corporate and
enterprise thing to do it.  People want to be met with the meat of the
content in a corporate and enterprise situation.  Mailing lists ask you
to bottom post so that context is easier, though sometimes that even
becomes hard (as people have demonstrated when they don't learn to
trim.)

Top-posting does not  ruin any information, it does not reduce
integrity, it does not make the information any less important, it
simply makes it harder to gather context because you have to read from
the bottom up to understand what said person is replying to.

And just so you know, Mac users top-post too, default Mac client (last I
was on a Mac) auto top-posts, *some* Linux users do too, in a corporate
and enterprise environment.

But, I must agree, top posting is bad.