How many bits are recommended?

Deryl R. Doucette me at pgpkeys.net
Mon Nov 1 23:26:37 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 00:17 +0100, Wouter van Vliet / Interpotential
wrote:
> Ok, so I was wondering - what is currently the "recommended" number of
> bits to go for, 64 or 32?
>
> With the release of 10.10, the note on the download page changed from
> "not recommended" on the 64bit option, to "recommended" on the 32bit.
> Not a big change. However, looking at this page:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/32bit_and_64bit it's a whole other
> story. There 64bit is recommended.
>
> After the 32bit version on my new computer I noticed that not the whole
> 4GB of RAM was available to the system, so I installed the PEA kernel.
> At that time, I also learned that the 64bit version would have had no
> problems addressing all of my RAM.
>
> With the risk of answering my own question; would it be safe to say that
> 64bit is recommended for systems that support it, with 4GB of RAM or more?
>
> There is probably more to it, right?
>
> Wouter

If your machine is a 64bit machine, then run the 64bit version. If you
need compatibility for 32bit programs there is the ia32-libs package:

 This package contains runtime libraries for the ia32/i386
 architecture, configured for use on an amd64 or ia64 Debian system
running a 64-bit kernel.

Have fun! :)
--
Deryl R. Doucette