OT:smartphone

jack wallen jlwallen at monkeypantz.net
Sun May 30 00:46:54 UTC 2010

> > Second, it must not rely on anything microsoft.  Third, it
> > should take and transmit good photos.  Forth it needs to have decent
> > battery
> > life.  Fifth, it needs to fit decently into my pocket.  Sixth, it
> > needs to work
> > wherever I happen to be.  That takes care of the basic needs which I
> > need a
> > phone for, anything else could be a plus but can not remove function
> > from any
> > of these six requirements.

do NOT get a Sprint Hero. I got one because i loved the idea of Android
OS and it looked like it was going to be a good phone. It's not. In
fact, outside of the Palm Treo 680 I had, it's the worst phone i've ever
used. why?

* Battery life to begin. You'll get about 1/2 a day (at best) even with
GPS and Wifi turned off.
* Speeds are really slow. This is both network speeds and application
speed. I've had instances where I've seen 5-10 second delays on simply
dialing a phone number.
* Updates. You want to piss a Sprint Hero owner off? Mention the Hero
2.1 update. It took them nearly 6 months to roll out that update. And it
only marginally improved the phone.

I have played with the Incredible. The name is fitting. When my contract
is ready for an upgrade (Oct) I will consider the EVO. by then plenty of
reviews will be out and the phone will be street tested.

My .05 cents.

Jack