Compaq nc6320 laptop suspend issue in 10.04

Ben Newman ben at ultraswank.com
Fri May 28 08:11:38 UTC 2010

Hey all, I'm nearing the end of my rope for this, so any help would be
great.  Suspend fails to resume most of the time on my laptop with a
fresh lucid install.  If I run pm-suspend from the command line about
90% of the time the laptop won't come back up.  The fan starts up but
then its immediately unresponsive and requires holding down the power
button to shut down and reboot.  I've googled the issue and tried all
the solutions I can, but I can't find anything that works.  Running
with a NO_HZ kernel doesn't help.  Shutting off all of my card readers
in the BIOS doesn't help.  Tweaking my acpi settings doesn't help.
I'm running out of options.  One thing I've noticed is that it must
fail almost immediately when trying to resume.  On a successful
restart I see this in the pm-suspend.log:

/etc/pm/sleep.d/action_wpa suspend suspend:success.
Fri May 28 00:17:37 PDT 2010: performing suspend
Fri May 28 00:17:47 PDT 2010: Awake.
Fri May 28 00:17:47 PDT 2010: Running hooks for resume

But in a failed attempt I get this:

/etc/pm/sleep.d/action_wpa suspend suspend:success.
Fri May 28 00:19:12 PDT 2010: performing suspend
..<EOF>..

So it looks like its hanging very early in the resume process.  Any
help would be greatly appreciated.  This is really making my laptop
hard to use.

--
~Ben Newman