Goodbye Linux/Ubuntu

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Fri May 28 02:24:36 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 10:02 PM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
> On Friday, May 28, 2010 06:39 AM, Karl Larsen wrote:
>> On 05/27/2010 04:33 PM, ABSDoug wrote:
>>> I had to reinstall 3 times in the last week. Reason: No Google answer,
>>> no answer here. ALSO, just re-installed 9.10 & all seems to be working.
>>>

>> Please not how many times, what did not work? Details please :-)
>>

> Where have you been for the last 5 days?
>
> This is the torrent killing my Internet connection guy.
>
> Unfortunately, the problem is Lucid specific and I cannot even start to
> guess where the problem is since his case does not match any prior
> similar experience I have. It ain't his Realtek nic on his Asus notebook
> because he uses wireless and i have not used any wireless on Linux yet.
> So it could be the routing code in the kernel (that's been a source for
> this sort of thing before) or the wireless driver that come with Lucid.

My experience in trying to get Wi-Fi to work in Ubuntu has been a
nightmare.  It was when I was still trying to get it to work on my
Acer Aspire 4520.  The BIOS doesn't have anything for turning it on
and off, and the keyboard button to turn it on and off only works in
Windows using a keyboard drivers that Acer wrote for this specific
model notebook.  I haven't tried it since then.  I've dedicated the
machine to Windows because it can run games better than my ancient AMD
Athlon XP 2000+ 1.2GHz custom-built dinosaur.  Well, better in that I
can play stuff that newer than 2005.  I've tried NDISwrapper, the
drivers load and run, but I could never get the button to work so I
could turn the stupid adapter on to use it.  Oh well, its a moot point
now.  One day down the line I'll try again when I get a new notebook,
but for now it'll stay a Windoze machine for gaming.

He mentioned uTorrent.  I thought that was a Windows only program.
Was he trying to run it in WINE?  I use Transmission whenever I
download anything with my Linux box.  So far no problems.  I'm wired
via Ethernet, using a Realtek NIC, and our ISP is Verizon FIOS which
does not throttle torrent traffic.  At least, I haven't noticed it
doing so.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking

Visit My Site:  http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1
To Contact Me:
http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts