Replacement for Kontact

Kaj Haulrich kaj.haulrich at adslhome.dk
Wed May 26 19:38:26 UTC 2010

On 2010-05-26 19:32, nepal wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 11:42:10 -0500
> Michael Satterwhite<michael at weblore.com>  wrote:
>
>> My first experience with the Ubuntu releases was with kubuntu. I
>> started using Kontact - and really liked it. With the release  of
>> KDE4, I've switched to gnome. I kept using kontact, but they have now
>> made this unusable as well. That damnable akonadi server - that never
>> comes up clean the first time - has completely ruined this package.
>> Apparently, their philosophy is to keep working on everything until
>> nothing works anymore.
>>
>> I need a replacement for it. I use the mail, calendar, to-do,
>> contacts, and pop-up notes in it. Ideally, it would be a one package
>> replacement. I also need to figure out a way to move my data from
>> kontact to the new package. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> ---Michael
>>

> You could have a look at Osmo. It is in the repos.
>
> It uses whatever mail agent you have set up. I use claws-mail have done
> for more than a year now following using kmail for about 6 or 7 years.
> Was a long time kde user, was...
>
> I did a very similar to you for similar reasons. I did not appreciate
> what was happening with kde and have vowed to not use it again, ever!
>
> I don't really use that much of these desktop features, but I didn't
> like evolution (I'm also sick of stuff that looks like or tries to
> mimick m$ win-dohs, so I'm not really that enamoured with gnome either.
>
> Osmo was about the best I could find.

I can only second what Michael said. I loved KMail, but this
Akonadi-crap chased me away from Kubuntu. Now I use Thunderbird for mail
and I think there's a calendar add-on available. And Claws (Sylpheed) is
pretty good as well.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
--- Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer---
--------- Running Linux Ubuntu 10.04 ---------