Replacement for Kontact

nepal nepal.roade at googlemail.com
Wed May 26 17:32:49 UTC 2010

On Wed, 26 May 2010 11:42:10 -0500
Michael Satterwhite <michael at weblore.com> wrote:

> My first experience with the Ubuntu releases was with kubuntu. I
> started using Kontact - and really liked it. With the release  of
> KDE4, I've switched to gnome. I kept using kontact, but they have now
> made this unusable as well. That damnable akonadi server - that never
> comes up clean the first time - has completely ruined this package.
> Apparently, their philosophy is to keep working on everything until
> nothing works anymore.
>
> I need a replacement for it. I use the mail, calendar, to-do,
> contacts, and pop-up notes in it. Ideally, it would be a one package
> replacement. I also need to figure out a way to move my data from
> kontact to the new package. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance
> ---Michael

You could have a look at Osmo. It is in the repos.

It uses whatever mail agent you have set up. I use claws-mail have done
for more than a year now following using kmail for about 6 or 7 years.
Was a long time kde user, was...

I did a very similar to you for similar reasons. I did not appreciate
what was happening with kde and have vowed to not use it again, ever!

I don't really use that much of these desktop features, but I didn't
like evolution (I'm also sick of stuff that looks like or tries to
mimick m$ win-dohs, so I'm not really that enamoured with gnome either.

Osmo was about the best I could find.

nepal.