Downloading Flash in Firefox

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 23 21:02:33 UTC 2010

On 05/23/2010 01:03 PM, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> On Sunday, May 23, 2010 02:15:14 pm NoOp wrote:
>
>> > Before posting this message, I had run
>> >
>> > 	sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-installer flashplugin-nonfree
>> >
>> > 	sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer flashplugin-nonfree
>> >
>> > According to synaptic, these packages are installed.
>>
>> Do this again:
>>
>> $ sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-installer flashplugin-nonfree
>> then
>> $ sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin
>
> First command ran find. The second give:
>
> Package adobe-flashplugin is not available, but is referred to by another
> package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source

$ apt-cache policy adobe-flashplugin
adobe-flashplugin:
  Installed: 10.0.45.2-1lucid1
  Candidate: 10.0.45.2-1lucid1
  Version table:
 *** 10.0.45.2-1lucid1 0
        500 http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid/partner Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

You'll need to enable the partner repository:
Synaptic|Settings|Repositories|Other Software|check the
'http://archive.canoical.com/ lucid partner'
repositories|Close|Reload|quick search 'adobe-flashplugin'|Install

Or you can do the above from the terminal:

$ gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
add:
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner
deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner

save & close gedit (or your prefered terminal editor), then:

$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
$ sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin