Can't add applets to panel in 10.04 :-(

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Sat May 15 09:21:41 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 09:08:10AM +0000, Robert Spanjaard wrote:
> On Sat, 15 May 2010 10:54:52 +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > When I log into my freshly installed 10.04, I get two panels but am
> > missing lots of applets which were existing in 9.10. In fact, only the
> > menus on the left side exist. all the applets which were on the right
> > side of the panels like the volume/wlan/battery/logout/clock applets are
> > gone. I tired to add them manually via right-click and then choosing
> > "add to panel" menu, but no matter which applet I choose to add, nothing
> > happens. The "add" button only shows the visual effect that it was
> > pressed, but none of the applets is actually added to the panel.
> >
> > With such a panel, I am even not able to log off properly, since there
> > is non logoff/shutdown knob in the panel.
> >
> > Any ideas other than going back to 9.10?
>
> Can you delete the panel? If that option is not greyed out, there must be
> another panel somewhere. Maybe the applets are added to that hidden panel.

Well, in fact, there _are_ two panels , one at the top (containing the menus)
and one at the bottom. Both panels were created at install, as it was in 9.10.
But I can't add anything to both panles. I deleted now the bottom panel and
can still not add anything to the top panel. Now, how would I recreate a new
panel?