PC does not recognize live CD

Thomas Blasejewicz thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp
Fri May 14 14:35:09 UTC 2010

Basil Chupin さんは書きました:
>> Computers: I tried today: 4
>> my windows machine (Dell Optiplex 745, Windows XP)
>> my childrens computers:
>> 1x Sotex desktop, Windows XP
>> 1x Mouse (desktop) computer, Windows Vista
>> 1x Dell Inspiron 1545, Windows Vista
>>
>> Tried ONLY the 8x burned CD. boots with no problems at all.
>>

> Ah! Now here you have completely thrown me of the bucking horse!
>
> "boots with no problems at all'.
>
> I take it that what you are saying here is that the disc boots OK on all
> other computers EXCEPT your own. Am I correct in this?
>
> While I think that you should take that disc to work and try it there
> for the purpose of eliminating another variable, can you do the following?
>
> Can you transfer the iso image to a USB memory stick and burn it on
> somebody else's computer - preferably say at work?
>
> Here I am trying to see if your burner is playing tricks.
>
> Another question: is your burner the same unit which reads the CD or do
> you have a separate CDROM and a separate burner with which you burn the
> iso image. BTW, what is the brand and model of your burner? (Every bit
> of knowledge helps in the end - hopefully :-) .)
>
> BC

Good evening
The problem occurs on a notebook PC I bought for about 150 USD from the
Japanese equivalent of ebay -
exclusively to experiment with Linux. Currently running Ubuntu 9.04
(Japanese localized version)
It has an Athlon chip, something like 2,2 GHz, ca. 750 MB RAM and a 40
GB HDD, CD-ROM
I thought, this would be enough.

BIOS (boot sequence; nothing else available/selectable)
1.   USB device -> legacy floppy drive
2.   CD-ROM
3.   HDD (internal)
4.   Built-in LAN

Burner drive in my Windows machine: Buffalo//: PLDS DVD A DH20A3S.
This is a drive I added later, since my machine came with a DVD-ROM.
The computer that has problems reading the disks is the note PC
mentioned above.
BUT, as I said before: the Ubuntu 9.04 disk works fine, 9.10 (10.04, or
older ones like 8.04) do not.
And all those disks were burnt with above mentioned Windows machine.

Maybe I can try using my children's computer to burn another disk.
I will let you know, if I succeed.