PC does not recognize live CD

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu May 13 15:12:10 UTC 2010

On 13/05/10 23:56, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
> Basil Chupin さんは書きました:
>
>> How about 'we' start again and see if this can be resolved? Are you
>> game? I assume, "Yes", so how about answering this question to start with:
>>
>> If you take this non-booting Live CD of Lucid 10.04 to another computer,
>> *NOT* one of your computers but to a *friend's* place, does it boot on
>> his/her computer? But PLEASE do just this and don't just say that you
>> did when you hadn't done so - as one person who I was trying to help
>> told me a lie that he had but didn't and so wasted weeks of my time.
>> Take it to a computer store if you have to and see if it will boot on
>> one of their computers. The tech guy at the store will do this for you
>> if you ask him nicely (as long as you explain to him what is going on so
>> that he doesn't think that you are to put virii all over his HD(s) -
>> he'll most probably try it out on some computer being repaired so that
>> he can make some more money on the repair if he thinks that there is
>> some damage done by your CD :-) . As a control, take a couple of the
>> other CDs you have and put them thru that computer as well.
>>
> OK. I definitely do not want to waste your time.

Don't worry about this :-) - it was only indicating that some people
pretend to give the correct information but don't. As you must
appreciate, when one is trying to resolve a problem and do so over a
great distance and thru the use of not even voice-call but thru written
word then the person trying to give help has some idea in mind as to
what may be going wrong and expects his/her questions to be answered
honestly :-) .

> But at the same time is the amount of time I can spend on fiddling with
> Linux limited.
> (over the last +3 years I have spent substantially (!) more time and
> effort on trying to figure out how to
> make Linux work than what I have invested in ALL my computers
> (installations, reinstallations, tweaking, repairs etc. etc.) over the
> last 25 years put together; and there seems to be no end in sight, nor
> any reasonable reward for all that effort)
>
> Computers: I tried today: 4
> my windows machine (Dell Optiplex 745, Windows XP)
> my childrens computers:
> 1x Sotex desktop, Windows XP
> 1x Mouse (desktop) computer, Windows Vista
> 1x Dell Inspiron 1545, Windows Vista
>

> Tried ONLY the 8x burned CD. boots with no problems at all.

Ah! Now here you have completely thrown me of the bucking horse!

"boots with no problems at all'.

I take it that what you are saying here is that the disc boots OK on all
other computers EXCEPT your own. Am I correct in this?

While I think that you should take that disc to work and try it there
for the purpose of eliminating another variable, can you do the following?

Can you transfer the iso image to a USB memory stick and burn it on
somebody else's computer - preferably say at work?

Here I am trying to see if your burner is playing tricks.

Another question: is your burner the same unit which reads the CD or do
you have a separate CDROM and a separate burner with which you burn the
iso image. BTW, what is the brand and model of your burner? (Every bit
of knowledge helps in the end - hopefully :-) .)

BC

--
ATTORNEY:  Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in his sleep, he
                    doesn't know about it until the next morning?