what means it that firefox keeps greying out?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed May 12 17:43:57 UTC 2010

On Wed, 12 May 2010, Hal Burgiss wrote:

> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Matt Morgan <minxmertzmomo at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know what part of the system is causing the graying
> > out? Is it Gnome, is it some Ubuntu-special? I'd like to make it
> > stop.
>
> Its the system itself. When you do something in FF and it is
> triggering this, the system does not have the resources available to
> respond as it should. So it just drags the system as the system
> starts trying to make the resources available. Its kind of a tipping
> point thing, and since FF is a resource pig, it is more likely to be
> the culprit to cause this (but not the only thing). There's a lot of
> factors involved, including memory, cpu and video resources.

  but i think the question was ... what specifically is controlling
the graying of the FF client?  i used fedora for years and, even when
FF was dragging the system to its knees, i never saw that phenomenon.
is this a GNOME setting?  i don't necessarily want to turn it off, i
just want to know who's responsible for it.

rday