Ubuntu client authentication using Ubuntu (ebox) - Samba Server as pdc

Arun Shrimali arun.reso at gmail.com
Wed May 12 10:25:41 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 12:28 PM, Christopher Chan <
christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

> > Thanks for the time. But could not get any 'howto' on howto configure
> > Ubuntu client to authenticate Samba on the logon itself (means while
> > starting a Ubuntu client / PC, user should directly login to the samba
> > pdc) and can get mapped their home directory and profile.
>
> Dude, use Linux tools for this. Ubuntu and XP do not share the same uses
> for the profile. Anyway, a bit more info before I try helping you through.
>

> > Can you please me in step by step setup or just provide the link for the
> > same.
> >

> Are you syncing the Samba user database with /etc/passwd? Do you use
> ldap as a backend for samba? Please provide a few more details of the
> PDC setup. Do you have security expectations like user A should not be
> able to touch user B's files, or user A and user C are part of a group
> and they have files that only they can touch?

Again thanks for your time.
You mean to say that, where Samba is working as PDC, XP and Ubuntu are
working as a client, users could not have the roaming profile, and they can
not work seamlessly across any ubuntu and XP client.

Any way, my Samba is working over ebox 1.4, where ldap is working as backend
for samba.
I don't have security exception, whereas user A can access to his home
folder as well as public folder and same way user B.

I am looking for the linux tools (as you said) which will authenticate the
user at the time of logon itself (like wise in XP).

regards