Printer not working on Lucid 10.4

Larry Shields larryesu at charter.net
Tue May 11 14:50:50 UTC 2010

On 05/10/2010 08:49 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Larry Shields wrote:

>>> Just an idea: Do you still have the CUPS config files in /etc/cups/
>>> from a previous Ubuntu version? I used the backup of that
>>> directory to make my printer work again which is connected to a
>>> USB->parallel converter. Another option is the cups configuration
>>> at<http://localhost:631/>. Use your own login and password when
>>> you are asked for credentials.
>>>

>> Yes I do have the cupsd.conf file, yet when I trying using the
>> <http://localhost:631/>  I get Unable to connect...
>>
> If you can't connect to localhost:631, cups isn't running. Try the
> command
>
> sudo service cups start
>
> in a terminal, then it should work again.
>

>> Though I do not
>> have the previous version, since I made a clean install for 10.4...
>>
> If you have a LiveCD from a previous Ubuntu version where the printer
> was working, you could boot from that CD. Then configure and test your
> printer and copy the config file(s) in /etc/cups/ to your hd.
>

>> I might just use synaptic and remove all of cups&  hplip stuff, and
>> then reinstall cups and see what happens...
>>
> That would at least restart cups and you should be able to connect to
> the configuration with your browser.
>

> Nils

*Hello Nils,

I tried the service cups start. which does bring me too*
http://localhost:631/help/ref-cupsd-conf.html...*Now using the command
*HP-UX: /sbin/init.d/cups restart, *I am getting */sbin/init.d/cups: No
such file or directory...*So it must be missing and will try to find out
what it is...

Thanks for the help...

Larry
*