Printer not working on Lucid 10.4

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon May 10 13:49:30 UTC 2010

Larry Shields wrote:
> On 05/10/2010 07:37 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Larry Shields wrote:
> >> I am still having a problem in getting my Deskjet 5550 printer
> >> setup to work with a parallel cable...
> >
> > Just an idea: Do you still have the CUPS config files in /etc/cups/
> > from a previous Ubuntu version? I used the backup of that
> > directory to make my printer work again which is connected to a
> > USB->parallel converter. Another option is the cups configuration
> > at<http://localhost:631/>. Use your own login and password when
> > you are asked for credentials.

> Yes I do have the cupsd.conf file, yet when I trying using the
> <http://localhost:631/> I get Unable to connect...

If you can't connect to localhost:631, cups isn't running. Try the
command

sudo service cups start

in a terminal, then it should work again.

> Though I do not
> have the previous version, since I made a clean install for 10.4...

If you have a LiveCD from a previous Ubuntu version where the printer
was working, you could boot from that CD. Then configure and test your
printer and copy the config file(s) in /etc/cups/ to your hd.

> I might just use synaptic and remove all of cups & hplip stuff, and
> then reinstall cups and see what happens...

That would at least restart cups and you should be able to connect to
the configuration with your browser.

Nils