PC does not recognize live CD

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Fri May 7 13:43:24 UTC 2010

On 07/05/10 23:33, Karl Larsen wrote:
> On 05/07/2010 04:32 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> On 07/05/10 19:36, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>>

>>> Steve Grace さんは書きました:

>>> It does not seem to work that way here.
>>> Pressing "esc" at **ANY** time has no effect. The computer ALWAYS boots
>>> from the HDD
>>> BIOS is set to boot from CD-ROM first.
>>> LiveCDs that DO work:
>>> Ubuntu 9.04
>>> Debian
>>>
>>> LiveCDs that DO NOT work:
>>> Ubuntu 9.10
>>> Ubuntu 10.4
>>> Ubuntu 8.10 etc.
>>> Mandriva
>>> Fedora 10
>>> OpenSUSE just tried 10.3
>>> Puppy
>>> PCLOS
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> So, of all the disks I have (tested) TWO actually work (=meaning that
>>> the computer is functioning and booting from CD is possible.
>>> The others don't.
>>> To answer another question: except the "debian" disk, ALL disks
>>> (including the one that works = 9.04) were prepared using my Windows
>>> machine:
>>> exactly the same equipment, same stack of new CDs etc.
>>>
>>> WHAT is the difference between a live Ubuntu 9.04 and a live Ubuntu
>>> 9.10/10.4 etc.
>>> Since one actually DOES work, it cannot be the computer, can it?
>>> Also, someone suggested downloading a new file, burn the CD again.
>>> Does not work. This time I downloaded both the English 10.04 as well as
>>> the Japanese localized version of 10.4. Neither works.
>>> And I tried this before: downloading 2-3 times, burning new disks. But
>>> that did not help.
>>>
>>> What magic is required to make this thing work???
>>>

>> Why not burn them using Ubuntu? Install k3b and burn the image with it.
>>
>> BC
>>

>           Come on guys this is a dead herring! Both the 9.10 and 10.04
> LiveCD's are weird and have problems that a new convert from Windows
> will have problems with. The people at Ubuntu need to look at the
> problem and fix it. I suggest they just go back to the 9.04 design.

Oh dear, oh dear...........

Both of the Live CDs for 9.10 and 10.04 I have, and downloaded from
either my ISP or from the Main Repo at Canonical, are booting/going
live/installing without a ANY PROBLEMS!

Please stop spreading FUD around!

BC

--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
                                                                     Galileo Galilei