VirtualBox issues after upgrade

stan stanb at panix.com
Thu May 6 19:37:46 UTC 2010

I have built a 10.4 machine, and installed the Sun version of Viru
tualBox on it. I installed this as oposed to the OSE version as I could not
get the OSE version to work corectly, and the Sun version has some nice
things not yet in the OSE version.

Now I have updated the machine using apt-get, which brought in a new
kernel. Unfortunatley this has broken VirtualBox.

When I try to run /etc/init.d/vboxdrv start by hand, I get:

root at pbuild3:/etc/init.d# ./vboxdrv start
 * Starting VirtualBox kernel module
 * modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why

Looking at dnesg, I only see:

[   79.031511] warning: `VirtualBox' uses 32-bit capabilities (legacy
support in use)
[   80.020096] Clocksource tsc unstable (delta = -306671965 ns)

So, what can I do to fix this, and will this be a problem every time a new
kernel comes down?