How do I do it? (altering the mount points)

John DeCarlo johndecarlo at gmail.com
Thu May 6 15:04:20 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> On 07/05/10 00:30, John DeCarlo wrote:
> >
> > I don't understand why you would use PartedMagic to do any of this.
> >
> > Renaming files and folders (whether they are mount points or not) is
> > very easy.  Either from command line or file manager.
> >
> > In fact, you could easily have just create /windows/D and unmounted
> > the partition mounted against /Windows/D and remounted it to /Windows/D.
> >
> > Even easier if you edited /etc/fstab to do this.
> >
> > No rebooting, no repartitioning.  It has nothing to do with partitions
> > at all.
> >
> > What am I missing?
>
> PartedMagic (I guess it is also called Gparted?) has mc (midnight
> commander). So, without having to unmount anything all one has to do is
> to mount the partition containing the operating system (in my case
> /dev/sda9) and edit not only the directory tree (from Windows>windows)
> but fstab as well.

But aren't you rebooting to do that?

Rebooting is a lot more work than editing fstab, and typing "sudo umount -a"
and "sudo mount -a"

Remember, you ended up in a situation where you couldn't boot Ubuntu.  That
is pretty much because you decided to reboot and edit partitions.  Much more
dangerous than the normal way.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own