How do I do it? (altering the mount points)

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu May 6 15:25:11 UTC 2010

On 07/05/10 01:04, John DeCarlo wrote:

> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au
> <mailto:blchupin at iinet.net.au>> wrote:
>
>     On 07/05/10 00:30, John DeCarlo wrote:
>     >
>     > I don't understand why you would use PartedMagic to do any of this.
>     >
>     > Renaming files and folders (whether they are mount points or not) is
>     > very easy.  Either from command line or file manager.
>     >
>     > In fact, you could easily have just create /windows/D and unmounted
>     > the partition mounted against /Windows/D and remounted it to
>     /Windows/D.
>     >
>     > Even easier if you edited /etc/fstab to do this.
>     >
>     > No rebooting, no repartitioning.  It has nothing to do with
>     partitions
>     > at all.
>     >
>     > What am I missing?
>
>     PartedMagic (I guess it is also called Gparted?) has mc (midnight
>     commander). So, without having to unmount anything all one has to
>     do is
>     to mount the partition containing the operating system (in my case
>     /dev/sda9) and edit not only the directory tree (from Windows>windows)
>     but fstab as well.
>

> But aren't you rebooting to do that?
>
> Rebooting is a lot more work than editing fstab, and typing "sudo
> umount -a" and "sudo mount -a"
>
> Remember, you ended up in a situation where you couldn't boot Ubuntu.
> That is pretty much because you decided to reboot and edit
> partitions.  Much more dangerous than the normal way.
  I guess this is where I now ask if I am missing something here :-) .

I have a computer which is switched off.

I switch it on and while the BIOS is being read in I press the CD ROM
button and insert the CD containing Gparted and the system boots into
Gparted, not Ubuntu.

I then use Gparted's mc to edit the directory tree and fstab to replace
all capitalised Windows to lower case windows.

I then exit Gparted, boot the computer and while it is doing this I
remove the Gparted CD - and the computer will then boot normally off the
HD where the corrections to fstab and the dirctory tree have been made
(I know that they have been made because I can see them with mc in
Gparted when I again boot with Gparted to re-edit all the lower case to
caps so that Ubuntu can boot). However, Ubuntu does not boot, and from
past experience it is "telling" me that it cannot find the partitions
mentioned in fstab - or so I think :-) .

Where am I deluding myself? :-)

BC

--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
                                                                     Galileo Galilei