apt-get upgrade and grub issue

stan stanb at panix.com
Wed May 5 13:16:43 UTC 2010

I have a freshly installed 10.4 instance on a lab machine. I installed it
from the CD. Then I did an apt-get update, apt-get upgrade yesterday, or
so. Today I tried to do that again, and now I have a problem. I am being
prompted with a message that says:

 You chose not to install GRUB to any devices.  If you continue, the boot
 │
  │ loader may not be properly configured, and when your
  computer next        │
   │ starts up it will use whatever was previously in the boot
   sector.  If     │
	│ there is an earlier version of GRUB 2 in the boot sector,
	it may be       │
	 │ unable to load modules or handle the current
	 configuration file.

But answering NO, just brings me back to the same prompt. I ahve put a good
deal of work into getting VirtualBox, and several instnaces of Guest OS'es
on this machine, I really don't want to have to start over, it has about 3
solid days of work in it.

What should I do?