Wordpress Content Disappears

Hal Burgiss hal at burgiss.net
Sun May 2 21:44:52 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Richard Ibbotson
<richard.ibbotson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> [Sun May 02 16:26:11 2010] [error] [client 10.0.0.2] File does not
> exist: /var/www/plugins, referer:
> http://sleepypenguin.homelinux.org/blog/wp-
> admin/admin.php?page=wpsyslog2/wpsyslog

[ ... ]

> [Sun May 02 16:27:31 2010] [error] [client 10.0.0.2] PHP Deprecated:
> Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/blog/wp-
> settings.php on line 27, referer: http://sl
>
> Any suggestions ?  I notice that if I comment out line 27 then a lot
> of this spam goes away.

The lines that say 'Warning' or 'Deprecated' are just that, warnings.
They shouldn't halt program execution or doing anything other than
make messy logs. The only thing that looks like what might be a fatal
error is the one about the 'plugins'. Assuming that that directory is
a WP directory and Ubuntu doesn't change the standard paths for such
things, that looks suspicious. That typical path is
$site_url/wp-content/plugins. So for you something like
'/var/www/blog/wp-content/plugins' would a standard location. But
perhaps they've altered that. Anyway, Warnings should not cause
missing content. The Error I mention, *could*.

It certainly seems that Ubuntu has gone to php5.3 and WP is not yet
supporting that (just judging from all the warnings from
wp-settings.php which is a stock Wordpress file). That by itself is
not necessarily a show stopper. But there are some significant
differences from php5.2 to 5.3.

--
Hal