nm-applet issue, and network manager in general

Loic Duros loic.duros at gmail.com
Sun May 2 13:23:07 UTC 2010

Hello,

I have upgraded my old gateway laptop to Lucid Lynx 10.04 (from 9.10), but
I'm having a few issues with it while things were working well with 9.10 --

First, (I'm talking about this because it might be related to the second
issue below) it seems the linux kernel 2.6.32.21 doesn't work. I'm getting a
black screen when launching with it from Grub. I disabled it, and I'm now
using the earlier version for launch.

The most annoying issue however is the fact that the nm-applet disappeared
since the upgrade. Even with eth0 cable connection I cannot go online unless
I run: sudo dhclient first.
There is no nm-applet on the top right of the tray, and if I type, nm-applet
--sm-disable as was recommended for similar issues, I get the following
message:
** (nm-applet:4761): DEBUG: old state indicates that this was not a
disconnect 0
** (nm-applet:4761): DEBUG: old state indicates that this was not a
disconnect 0

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks!