Weird upgrade 10.04

Herman Aalderink hermanaa at gmail.com
Fri May 7 06:23:29 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-05-02 at 08:18 -0400, Augusto Chan-Tay-On wrote:
> Hi, I am relatively new with Ubuntu, and have almost no
> hardware skills (I understand software better).

I am more the other way around ......
 (I answer because I do not see any replies)

> I have  an Averatec  AV3360-EH1 (centrino)  old laptop,
> with 80 GB  HD and 1  GB RAM. Originally,  with Windows
> XP, and now running Ubuntu 9.10,

Plenty good for intensive personal use.
 As well as for dual OS (like XP plus Ubuntu)

> The only thing I couldn't make it work, is the SD card;
> instead, I am using USB adapters for that purpose;  so,
> not big deal.
.... so you're doing OK hardware-wise ....

> I  tried  the  new  Ubuntu  10.04 clean install, and my
> laptop went into a kind of gray screen with no  further
> activity.

There are several CDs, all 10.04. Which one (desktop, alternate) did you
use? (I use Alternate to make sure I get the disk lay-out I want).
I read 'Alternate' comes with more drivers (maybe that's what you need).

> reinstalled Ubuntu 9.10,  did all updates, and  tried
> the upgrade; it went to the same situation.
Is that 'same situation' a gray screen?
You will have to be a bit more specific there. No idea what you did.
But sounds like you had a working system ...... else it is hard to do an
upgrade.

> After  reboot,  a  "shutting  down"  continous  message
> appeared every second.

that's wrong of course. Does not happen in a working system.

> I installed Ubuntu 9.10 back, and everything is OK now.
> Maybe I will try 10.04  again, later; if no success,  I
> will wait for 10.10 to try again.

Possible reason you got no answers is that you send 'a whole book'
instead of a question.

> It is supposed that a new version corrects and improves
> what is already included, and adds new features; it  is
> weird to think that a new version disables or gets  rid
> of some features already working well.

Maybe they concentrated on latest developments instead of ol' Centrino?
(what would you do if you had limited time?)

Assuming your Centrino is in working condition, together (list and you)
we will get it working. But you are on the controls, and you have to be
a little clearer about your readings (what you see, situation,
error-msgs) and what you do in reaction. (we cant read your mind ....)

I once had the desktop CD (5 years ago). It did not work.
I used the Alternate 'ever after'. I never had problems. That's why I am
familiar with the Alternate CD and not the Desktop CD.

Chances are you have a driver problem. Just the right CD and you might
forget you ever had a problem (just guessing. But it is also my
Ubuntu-history).

Remember Ubuntu (what it means). Hope to see you back.

Herman in Philippines.