GRUB problem after upgrading to 10.04

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Sun May 2 11:29:01 UTC 2010

On 05/01/2010 08:40 PM, user1 wrote:

>>> I just changed to grub legacy following the recipe in:
>>>
>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
>>>
>>> 12.1 Reverting to GRUB legacy
>>>
>>> and now it works as usual.
>>>
>>> I find grub legacy easier to setup and use - you just have to edit
>>> menu.lst and that's it.
>>>
>>> So I will wait reverting until grub2 is ready *smile*
>>>

>> And that is easier than 'sudo update-grub'?
>>
> I did that.
>
> I first edited the lucid 40_custom file with the contents from the karmic
> 40_custom file (I had made a backup of this file) which did recognize the
> other operating systems.
>
> Then I ran: sudo update-grub
>
> And that did not work.
>
> I mean that such an important part of an OS as the bootloader should work
> out of the box and recognize all the other installed OS without any bugs.
> If not a lot of people might get a heavy problem. *smile*

     Yes exactly and what you did should have worked, I think. By the
way for those who are trying to show their expert in Grub2 here is the
man page:

UPDATE-GRUB(8)
UPDATE-GRUB(8)

NAME
        update-grub - stub for grub-mkconfig

SYNOPSIS
        update-grub

DESCRIPTION
        update-grub  is a stub for running grub-mkconfig -o
/boot/grub/grub.cfg
        to generate a grub2 config file.

SEE ALSO
        grub-mkconfig(8)

It says update-grub is a stub which runs grub-mkconfig -o
/boot/grub/grub.cfg. All it does is run grub.cfg the right way with a
simple to remember word.

     It is possible that the image of the computer changed and that is
why your copied over 40_custom file did not work. This is a complex area
of Grub2.

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI