Basic setup

Miroslav Skoric skoric at eunet.rs
Sat May 1 22:33:43 UTC 2010

Luis Paulo wrote:

> Please, check if you have a /etc/rc2.d/S99rc.local init script
> (linking to a /etc/init.d/rc.local script).
> That would make /etc/rc.local work.

Thanks Luis,

Checked that script and it is there. Btw, I was not sure if the command
'setserial <params>' should have been put before the line saying 'exit
0' or after it (within /etc/rc.local), so I put it twice: before the
line 'exit 0' and after it. Anyway, 'setserial' did the job and the
modem is working now.

> But if you need to mount a ntfs partition,
> you'll need ntfs-3g package and mount it alike any other partition
> sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sdXN /mnt/path
> or edit your/etc/fstab

In fact it is a FAT partition (Windows 2000 Pro). I think that should go
with -t vfat option. But whatever I tried to put into fstab failed to
mount it. At the moment, the only way to mount that partition is via
Gnome's 'Places' menu, then clicking on that partition's icon. After
mounting it that way, a 'mount' command in a terminal returns the list
of all mounted partitions, including the following:

/dev/sda5 on /media/2K DISK type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=devkit,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,flush)

Now it makes me wonder what type of the mount command or a fstab entry
could produce the same result automatically, so I wouldn't need to do it
manually by using the mouse.

>> 3. It also seemed that 'sudo' command suddenly stopped responding and I
>>  get something like this:
>>
>> misko at desktop:~$ sudo setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 10
>> sudo: /etc/sudoers is mode 0551, should be 0440
>> Segmentation fault
>> misko at desktop:~$
>
> First try
> sudo chmod 440  /etc/sudoers
>
> Next we'll see about the Segmentation fault

Thank you for that one. Seems that 'sudo chmod 440  /etc/sudoers' solved
the issue with temporarily disabled sudo command, which works now. Also,
the 'Segmentation fault' error disappeared in parallel. (I recall that I
tried to fix something else with 'chmod' some days before and it must be
me to screw it up :-))

Regards,

Misko