Basic setup

Luis Paulo luis.barbas at gmail.com
Sat May 1 23:35:10 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 11:33 PM, Miroslav Skoric <skoric at eunet.rs> wrote:
> Btw, I was not sure if the command
> 'setserial <params>' should have been put before the line saying 'exit
> 0' or after it (within /etc/rc.local), so I put it twice: before the
> line 'exit 0' and after it.
>
> In fact it is a FAT partition (Windows 2000 Pro). I think that should go
> with -t vfat option. But whatever I tried to put into fstab failed to
> mount it. At the moment, the only way to mount that partition is via
> Gnome's 'Places' menu, then clicking on that partition's icon. After
> mounting it that way, a 'mount' command in a terminal returns the list
> of all mounted partitions, including the following:
>
> /dev/sda5 on /media/2K DISK type vfat
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=devkit,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,flush)
>
> Now it makes me wonder what type of the mount command or a fstab entry
> could produce the same result automatically, so I wouldn't need to do it
> manually by using the mouse.
>
> Regards,
>
> Misko

Hi, Misko

exit does that, exits :). In that case with exit code 0, means no
error. So anything below (after) will not work at all.

create a dir, lets say /mnt/shared
$ sudo mkdir /mnt/shared
add a line to /etc/fstab file
  /dev/sda5 /mnt/shared vfat defaults 0 2
reboot

Probably what you did, I guess.

When it works you may, or not, replace defaults with
  rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=devkit,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,flush
or anything else you seem fit.
see man mount, specially "Mount options for vfat"

Wait. sda? copy the full result of mount (or cat /etc/mtab) here, please

Regards
Luis