Ubuntu 9.10 Fails to Boot After Installing Samba CIFS - SOLVED!!!

BILONICK, RICHARD rab at consolidated.net
Wed Mar 31 05:08:48 UTC 2010

Apparently, this was a problem of my own making.

When looking through /bin and /usr/bin for programs to disable, I noticed a program in /bin named "mountall". It just so happens that the script I used to mount the shares is also named "mountall" and it's in /usr/bin. This worked fine under 9.04. I think this is what caused the upgrade to 9.10 to fail also.

Once I renamed my script "mountall" (and "umountall"), the system boots fine.

I could not understand how the system knew the share names and then it dawned on me that the system was running my "mountall" (which executed other scripts with the share names) instead of its own "mountall".

It's almost a miracle I figured this out!