Ubuntu 9.10 Fails to Boot After Installing Samba CIFS

BILONICK, RICHARD rab at consolidated.net
Wed Mar 31 04:17:06 UTC 2010

No, I cannot boot from recovery mode - same failure is reported.   I don't remember exactly what parts of samba I installed, but I know I installed smbfs. I was thinking that I could try to delete some programs or scripts that are being run that cause the boot failure.

Here are the error messages:

mount error: could not resolve address from winpsdnsprd12.acct.upmchs.net: Name or service not known
No ip address specified and hostname not found
<unknown program name>(509)/: KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server: "/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally with the following error: Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed."
<unkown program name>(507)/: KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly.

I had mounted the winpsdnsprd12.acct.upmchs.net share using a script I had written. I don't understand how the system knows its name when I'm not manually running the script.

I don't understand what program or script is running and I don't understand how to remove it. I can't get to a shell terminal