Looking For Info On Updating Firefox & Open Office

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 28 21:25:31 UTC 2010

On 03/28/2010 01:07 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:

> As several folks have pointed out, you can download and install any of
> the compiled .deb versions packaged for Ubuntu. You should realize,
> however, that when you bypass the Ubuntu packages you lose out on the
> Ubuntu security updates, and then will be dependent upon the packager
> or the application's own update mechanism, if any.

Right, they will get updated. But keep in mind that the security updates
will lag behind those provided by Mozilla directly. Examples:

<http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/f/firefox-3.5/firefox-3.5_3.5.8+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.9.10.1/changelog>

latest:
> firefox-3.5 (3.5.8+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.9.10.1) karmic-security; urgency=low
>
>   * New upstream release v3.5.8 (FIREFOX_3_5_8_BUILD1)
>     - see USN-896-1
>     - fix LP: #432876 - Icons missing in Firefox searchbox drop down list
>     - fix LP: #449744 - Firefox crashes when attempting to load Firebug 1.5
>
>  -- Micah Gersten <snipped>  Tue, 09 Feb 2010 22:31:06 -0600

vs:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.6.2/releasenotes/

http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/2010/mfsa2010-08.html
> Title: WOFF heap corruption due to integer overflow
> Impact: Critical
> Announced: March 22, 2010
> Reporter: Evgeny Legerov
> Products: Firefox 3.6
>
> Fixed in: Firefox 3.6.2

<http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox36.html#firefox3.6.2>

http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-896-1

I think that the lag is understandable as the updates have to be tested
first. Firefox is pretty well maintained by Ubuntu, however other
Mozilla packages (such as SeaMonkey) are not. Note: for SeaMonkey, Joe
Lesko has kindly undertaken the effort to provide fully updated
SeaMonkey packages (2.0.3 & 2.0.4) as the "Official" Ubuntu SeaMonkey
packages are still at 1.1.7 (which is no longer maintained by Mozilla
[1]). You can find Joe's packages here:

https://launchpad.net/seamonkey2
 https://launchpad.net/~seamonkey2
  https://launchpad.net/~seamonkey2/+archive/seamonkey2
  [2.0.3 Stable]
  https://launchpad.net/~seamonkey2/+archive/seamonkey2-pre
  [2.0.4 pre-release - that I've been running since the 19th w/o issues]

[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=names&keywords=seamonkey
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/seamonkey/+bug/461864
[Add Seamonkey 2.0 to Ubuntu]