How to disable USB storage only (USB headets should continue to work)

Swapnil Jain swapnil at pisces.net.in
Sat Mar 27 05:54:12 UTC 2010

Dear Daniel,

Type the following command:

# echo 'install usb-storage : ' >> /etc/modprobe.conf

You can also remove USB Storage driver, enter:

# ls /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/usb-storage.ko
# mv /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/usb-storage.ko /root

BIOS option

You can also disable USB from system BIOS configuration option. Make sure BIOS is password protected.

Grub option

You can get rid of all USB devices by disabling kernel support for USB via GRUB. Open grub.conf or menu.lst  and append "nousb" to the kernel line as follows:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-128.1.1.el5 ro root=LABEL=/ console=tty0 console=ttyS1,19200n8 nousb

Save and close the file. Once done just reboot the system:
# reboot

Thanks!
Swapnil Jain ( http://swapnil-indore.blogspot.com/ )
[Contact for Secure, Robust & Easy to Use Security Solutions]
Networking & Security Consultant ( http://www.pisces.net.in )
Indore, India
E-mail: swapnil at pisces.net.in
GTalk : swapnil at pisces.net.in