Arpwatch stops working in Karmic

Rich Carreiro rlcarr at rlcarr.com
Wed Mar 24 02:31:13 UTC 2010

I'm running Karmic. Sometime in the past month or so (perhaps when I
upgraded to karmic!) arpwatch stopped working. It immediately exits
with
   Link layer type 189 not ethernet or fddi

But running "arp" shows what it should. And when I run wireshark and
see an arp request/reply it says the hardware type is type ethernet
(0x01).  And the LAN is running fine.

I've tried googling on "Link layer type 189" -- with quotes, and there
are zero matches.  And even without quotes, nothing useful.  Also
tried some searches for BD and 0xBD (189 dec = 0xBD).

And there have been literally zero hardware changes on the machine
(and on the LAN in general, for that matter) since it was working.

Any ideas?

Rich Carreiro                            rlcarr at rlcarr.com