antivirus software: how do you actually install it?

Henry Dubb henry.dubb at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 13:21:03 UTC 2010

Yes, but that is with users consent. Those actions occur with root or sudo
password. When most folks think of a virus its done without consent. On
Windows my son had viruses all the time, but he never consented to them.

Those scripts can only be done by system administrator with sudo / root
access. Other users can't execute those scripts. This is entirely different
than Windows in which they are executed without root permissions and without
the users knowledge.

If we want to call anything we execute with root permissions and a
corresponding password a virus, sure Linux has viruses.