Virus problem...

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Sat Mar 20 10:44:09 UTC 2010

NoOp wrote:
> On 03/19/2010 07:32 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 19:05:28 -0700
>> NoOp <removedrudeemailreference> wrote:

>>> Perhaps you have a false positive? The offline installer:
>>> Alice3BetaInstaller-Complete-3.0.0.1.1-linux.sh
>>> is 557Mb (downloading it now). So that would be the reason your
>>> /download started to fill with large files (I suspect).

>> Hmmm, Alice3BetaInstaller-Online-3.0.0.1.1-linux.sh is only 3.1 MB.
>> Where would the difference be between online installation and offline
>> installation?
>>
>> Cybe R. Wizard
>>

> Well... I reckon that the Online installer goes out an fetches all 557Mb
> from online and installs those files eh? BTW: clamav reports no viruses
> in that file, nor does Bitdefender.
>
> $ md5sum Alice3BetaInstaller-Complete-3.0.0.1.1-linux.sh
> 768307d3cfb9fee8d8107eb8399fb7cb
> Alice3BetaInstaller-Complete-3.0.0.1.1-linux.sh
>
> Plus the Alice3BetaInstaller-Complete-3.0.0.1.1-linux.sh also issues
> erros (seems to be corrupted) on 9.10 (386). So either I'm attempting to
> install them incorrectly, or they are indeed corrupted. My guess would
> by my operator error, or perhaps they just don't like the karmic
> kernel/system.

Yes, they appear to be binary files, as I can not open them in gedit
even 'though they are named with an .sh extension.

I have not checked the mail for an activation email from their forums
yet, but will soon.

It didn't make sense to me that there would be a virus in something from
that source, but for some reason after being told that the file was
corrupt, I ran a home scan with clamav, and it found two viruses. Go figure.

The folders that clamav now keeps displaying are only virus named, not
viruses, and are the quarantine folders it created when it discovered them.

Bit defender finds nothing after several hours of scanning, and a 31 MB
update to the virus detection files.

My computer continues to run stable, with nothing untoward happening as
well. 8-)

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Linux dpkg Software Report script set..