When headphones are plugged in, the speaker does not get muted automatically.

Default User xyzzyx at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 16 01:21:27 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-03-07 at 18:53 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> Anyone have any suggestions for resolving issues in the following bug?
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/477154
> [When headphones are plugged in, the speaker does not get muted
> automatically.]
>
> Fairly new HP G60-530US laptop w/9.10 and it's annoying as hell that I'm
> not able to get the system to mute the speakers when the headphones are
> plugged in. My data/comments start at #71:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/477154/comments/71>
>
> Note: Jatin has a similar/same issue in the "Sound Coming in headphones
> as well as speakers" thread.

Same problem with the HP G60-519.  The only solution I have found was to
buy a Plantronics ".Audio 655" USB headset.  It plugs right into a USB
port and "just works", but ONLY if you do this:

(Ubuntu 9.10, 64-bit, updated, Gnome desktop)North American telephone
call centers

Go into (in Gnome) system > preferences > sound, then for "Profile",
select "Off".

Then plug in the USB headset.  You should see a new entry in the
hardware tab for the headset. For "Profile", select "Analog stereo
output + Analog mono input".

The sound should now go to the headset, with the speakers muted.  Of
course, to have sound out of the speakers again, reverse the above
procedure.

Note: this does NOT work with both the headphones and speakers enabled
at the same time.  And, do NOT try to adjust the volume on the headset
with the volume control built into the headset.  Instead, just use the
Gnome "volume control" utility on the top taskbar, just as you would to
contol the speakers.  Doing either won't work and will cause the display
to go crazy.  If that happens, just reboot and do it right this time,
and everything will be fine.

The hard part is handing over $50-$60 for the headphones.  The
headphones themselves are fine, unless you are an audiophile.  And they
are USB only, so don't plan on using them with your stereo, etc.  Any
they are not small, and don't fold.  Sure glad I got a laptop for
compactness when traveling . . .

I have no association whatsoever with Plantronics.  But their business
headsets are well known to lower-level end users in office telephone
environments.

Note also that Logitech also makes a USB headset, and theirs comes with
an adapter to use normal input and output mini-plug jacks.  However,
on-line reviews of theirs were not very favorable, so I have not tried
them.

Final note: I am astounded that HP put out a computer with such an
obvious flaw.  That's the last time I buy an HP computer.  And to think,
once upon a time, HP made things that worked.  But apparently, their new
corporate motto is "If it sells, it's good", and not the other way
around.

HP, you owe me $50.  Plus tax.  And how about a little extra for my
aggravation?