error instaling Virtualbox update

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 15 02:08:41 UTC 2010

On 03/14/2010 06:28 PM, Fred Roller wrote:
> Rev. Melissa Lane wrote:
>> Still a noob and getting frustrated daily! I tried to update
>> virtualbox today and received an error that says error processing the
>> install file /temp/virtualbox-3.1_3.1.4-57640_ubuntu karmic_i386.deb
>> (--install) I saved a screenshot of the entire error if anyone can
>> help. I also havent been able to use virtualbox for awhile either.
>>
> Could you be kind enough to type the whole error message.  If you
> haven't been able to use Virtualbox for a while then the issue is not
> likely the updating.  Do you get any errors while trying to run
> virtualbox?  If none pop up then try running from command line:
>
> Open a terminal
>
>     Applications --> Accessories --> Terminal
>
> Once a terminal opens you should see something like:
>
>     froller at metis:~$
>
> Type the following command:
>
>     virtualbox
>
> which is the same as the menu command.  If the command fails then it
> should have error messages in the Terminal window.  Highlight,
> right-click, copy these error(s) and post here.  We can dig deeper into
> logs later if this yields nothing.

And just to add; there are several virtualbox specific locations for
assistance:

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Community
The current preference by VirtualBox is to use the forums:
http://forums.virtualbox.org/
However, there is also a new 'user' community mailing list (the one
originaly supported by VirtualBox is being shut down) that can be found
here: